1. I have been striving to figure out who Khristian Martin reminds me of. At to start with, I was imagining the late Dwayne Haskins, for the reason that they’re about the very same height and played in from related competitors (Haskins went to Bullis in Maryland). But he is not as thick as Haskins and is far more cell. Then I thought Dak Prescott, but he is a more refined passer than Dak was and not approximately as physical. And then it sort of clicked: Jerrod Johnson.
Martin is about the identical top as Jerrod and has equivalent mobility. Both equally would somewhat stay in the pocket, but can move if they require to. He is also ready to throw the ball from different arm angles and retains his eyes wanting down the subject. He isn’t going to have Jerrod’s extended windup, but has related arm power.
Persons fail to remember, but Jerrod was a great quarterback ahead of his shoulder harm and is continue to at or around the best in a good deal of passing classes at A&M. If Martin decides he needs to appear to A&M and follows a equivalent job route, the Aggies will be just great with that.
2. The transfer portal reopens Saturday and, with the spring sport nevertheless to go, this is my checklist of positions in conditions of have to have of focus: cornerback, linebacker, wideout, offensive deal with.
3. The emergence of Chase Bisontis may possibly not just be due to the fact of the harm to Trey Zuhn. He may well just be that very good. There have been a ton of feedback from folks who see a ton additional than we do that he is very swift and has been able to keep his very own in opposition to more mature gamers in exercise. I am taking men and women at their word on this, since if Bisontis is as great as they’re declaring, that would give the Aggies a former freshman All-American (Deuce Fatheree) a freshman All-SEC (Zuhn) and anyone who’s receiving rave opinions at tackle. They need extra, there’s no doubt, but Bisontis could make that concern significantly less severe.
4. Even if Taurean York is possessing a terrific spring, the Aggies nonetheless have to have assistance at linebacker. Edgerrin Cooper and Chris Russell search like they’re going to commence, and York and Martrell Harris will again them up. And at the rear of them is Daymion Sanford. You totally, positively, do not want genuine freshmen in the two deep except if they are just remarkable. And it’s possible York is, but a person personal injury and you’ve got acquired real problems. As a result, you get in the portal.
5. I am not apprehensive about working back. Thank you, Rueben Owens. You will not just replace Devon Achane. But Owens, alongside with Amari Daniels, has presented A&M some serious pace in the backfield. And Le’Veon Moss provides some pop, and he is not accurately gradual both. The Aggies will need some depth, so if they can get a further person, excellent. But Ainias Smith is again and he can acquire some of the load as well. But I genuinely preferred what I observed from Daniels late previous time and he’s picked up the place he left off. Owens continue to could be the finest back again on campus now.
6. Buzz is after guards, and there is certainly a new a person who just hit the sector. FSU’s Matthew Cleveland, who led the Seminoles in scoring (13.8 points) and was 2nd in rebounding (7.4) very last 12 months, declared he is going in the portal within just the final hour. I would completely, positively make a run at him. He is 6-foot-7, designed 44.5% of his pictures and hit 35% of his 3s. He’s got a total video game.
7. One big person A&M really should be soon after played at nemesis Arkansas past yr. Makhel Mitchell, all 6-foot-10, 240 pounds of him, is in the portal. His brother, Makhai, is not (however). Makhel averaged 3.6 details on 63.5% taking pictures, 3.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks. I never definitely treatment how significantly he scored I want him for his rebounding and existence in the lower post. He gave the Aggies absolute suits final calendar year.
And if Makhai, who set up improved numbers desires to arrive — acquire him way too.
8. I like new hoops pickup Andre Mills. I watched some of his tape and he is particularly aggressive. He likes to get to the hoop and get get in touch with, which can make him a superior fit for what Buzz is accomplishing at A&M. But he is speedier than fellas now on the roster. His stroke from length enhanced markedly past calendar year, so hopefully he’ll be a danger from 3 as very well.
9. I was going to guide with how I goofed and failed to mention Jace LaViolette in Monday Thoughts. Anytime a accurate freshman goes for 3 bombs and 10 RBI in three online games, it should really get some point out. But A&M was in the middle of laying an absolute egg in opposition to UTSA, so it dropped down the checklist.
10. Currently has certainly sucked. It really is national pet day, and my buddy, Gibbs the Pug, is just not right here for it. He handed away early yesterday morning at the age of 13. I know some of you will chortle or scorn the idea of mourning a puppy — a pug at that — but Gibbs was my shadow each individual working day I was residence for all 13 of these a long time. In which I went, he went. Where I slept, he slept. And, if he could try to eat what I ate, he did. He was the incredibly definition of Man’s Ideal Buddy, and I will overlook him a ton.