Q: Is there a great backyard calendar I can down load to enable remind me of regular gardening responsibilities?
A: Glad you requested! The UT-TSU Extension has just posted their 2022 calendar. It can be located at: https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Paperwork/W436.pdf. This calendar was formulated to aid Tennessee gardeners succeed.
In this article are some other very good matters to do this month to assistance your yard be a success this year:
• Get those pruners off of the wall and see if they want some treatment. Lubricate the pivot with somelight-weight oil and sharpen it. This is a good YouTube movie on sharpening pruners: https://www.youtube.com/check out?v=1vvBkPQZzOU. Sharpened yard equipment are so a great deal superior to use than uninteresting types and you will observe the difference! Pruning tree limbs will be so a great deal much easier and the pruned place will mend significantly quicker to the betterment of the plant or tree. And your shoulders won’t get so sore from getting to exert so a great deal effort and hard work.
Your backyard garden hoes and shovels could also be sharpened. You will also notice the big difference when you start digging into our well-known Northeast Tennessee crimson clay or likely via small roots. Here is yet another great YouTube online video on this: https://www.youtube.com/check out?v=s3mrlMfTZos
• Get on the web or dig out people seed catalogs you obtained last drop and start off setting up your spring plantings. Bear in mind the saying from last summertime, “Proper planning helps prevent lousy performance.”
• Talking of planning, it is generally handy to have a diagram of your backyard plot. This is a very good time to draw out a sketch of your garden and even approach wherever you want to location your bouquets or greens for the yr. A great commence on that is this handy information to planning your vegetable backyard layout on the University of Illinois Extension internet site: https://website.extension.illinois.edu/vegguide/action02.cfm.
If you have a resolution to eventually get your yard or flower garden in purchase, UT-TSU Extension also has a printable manual for landscaping design and style to assist get you begun. Check out it out right here: https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Files/W869.pdf.
The higher than should continue to keep you backyard garden-chaotic by means of January for success all over the yr!
– Your pleasant Grasp Gardener.
• If you have a problem for the Master Gardeners, post them to us on our site at www.netmga.internet. Simply click the connection at the top of the page, “ASK A Learn GARDENER,” to send in your problem. Issues that aren’t answered in this column will receive a reaction from a Master Gardener to the call information and facts you deliver.
• It’s a new calendar year and a new Master Gardener Training is having completely ready to start off. Registration is open for our 2022 Learn Gardener Teaching Method. Courses commence on Jan. 25, and the registration deadline is Jan. 14, so don’t wait around to register. Call the UT-TSU Extension business office for Sullivan County at 423-574-1919 or the UT-TSU Extension business in Washington County at 423- 753-1680 for a lot more information and facts and how to register. It’s enjoyable, useful, and a great way to meet folks who share your enjoy of gardening. Get in touch with now. Hope to see you on Jan. 25!
• If you have a dilemma for the Learn Gardeners, post them to us on our site at www.netmga.web. Simply click the connection at the major of the webpage, “ASK A Master GARDENER” to ship in your problem. Thoughts that aren’t answered in this column will obtain a response from a Grasp Gardener to the get hold of data you supply.
The Learn Gardener Application is presented by the University of Tennessee Extension. The reason of the Master Gardener system is to prepare men and women as horticultural-educated volunteers. These volunteers work in partnership with the local Extension business in their counties to broaden academic outreach, offering residence gardeners with investigated-primarily based details.